November 27, 2017

That Time I Went to Nassau, Bahamas...

The last stop on my cruise last month was to Nassau, Bahamas. It was drizzle-y the whole day so it's hard to review, per-se, but here's how we spent the day.


First I took a bunch of photos from the ship. They would have been prettier if it wasn't raining... I'm pretty sure.
My list of things I wanted to do happened to include 3 indoor things which worked out great given the weather: Pirate Republic Brewery, Senior Frogs (for lunch), Pirate Museum, and beach...

But first: I had read that you can get your passport stamped in Nassau, so we specifically took our off the ship with us. What I had read started with "it was really easy" then sounded not-easy. But I was determined. It was basically exactly what the person wrote which, from memory, I'm pretty sure was "you find a guy at a fence, he sends you to a sketchy building behind a fenced area, you walk in and then you find a dude who will stamp it." This was exactly how it went and it actually was very easy but didn't feel easy at the time.
After a 1/2 mile walk from the ship, we came up to a restricted area (you can't miss it). There is a little kiosk but no one really to talk to as far as we would tell. There was a fence to the left and there was a guy standing at an opening. He was talking to some people so we waited. So yes, we did find a guy at a fence. I asked if there's a way to get a passport stamp, and turns out, he was very used to this request. 

He told someone in the kiosk why we were invading the restricted area, and he walked us over to a building nearby and told us that the last office at the end of the hall.  Said guy in the office at the end of the hall was also unphased by our request. We saw ourselves out of the building and the restricted area and headed for the actual entrance to Nassau. 

Next up was the Pirate Brewery. I don't drink beer, so the brewery stop was for Boyfriend. 
He very much enjoyed the Pirate beers. He got two beer flights/samplers and the favorite was the Citra Me Timbers.
Once he was done sampling, we headed to lunch at Senior Frogs. I did not realize this was a chain restaurant. We even walked past on in New York after getting off the cruise.
 Apparently, this is a place people go to party. It was loud but tame when we arrived, but at some point, while we were waiting for our food to arrive, a dude got on a microphone and chaos erupted. Shots were being given out for free, there was a conga line, and people were up and dancing. At 2pm on a Thursday.
The food was pricey and not all that amazing. I do recommend the guac, which is like $12, but you get a ton of it and it was freshly made and really good.
Next, we headed for the beach. While not exactly sunny, it wasn't raining. I had read about a bar called the Tiki Bikini Hut that has these awesome drink specials and lounge chair rentals for cheap at Junkanoo beach.
We saw no such specials and really questioned if we were in the right place. All we got was a tiny menu of which they didn't have everything on it. Including water (I guess they only do bottled water, which I didn't want anyway). So Boyfriend drank a $5 beer and we left. 

Back at home, I again saw recommendations for this place. I'm 99% sure we were at the right place, so maybe the specials are seasonal, or they don't offer them on rainy days when attendance will be low. All I can say is, have a plan B if you try to go here for the cheap drinks.

We did walk down to the water so that we could say we went to the beach. The ocean did look nice. I walked about two feet in and was done. If it was sunny, we would have gone in, but not worth it in the drizzle.
The only redeeming thing about our walk to Junkaroo was that I got to take a photo with giant Hibiscus flowers.
These were just in front of some building. I was a little disappointed to learn that they are not stone or metal, they are plastic. 

We headed to the Pirate Museum. It was $13 each but decided to do it anyway.
I appreciated that we were told we were allowed to take photos or video if we want. There wasn't a whole lot to look at artifact-wise, but there was a lot to read and learn about Nassau Pirates, and there was a pirate ship that you "walk inside." 
The self-guided tour was also longer than I expected. There was, of course, a gift shop at the end that was underwhelming. This is probably a great place to take kids, and it was a good option for us due to being indoors.

It was raining more once we were done, so we headed back to the ship. I had wanted to go to the Queens Steps to get some good photos but decided it wasn't worth it in the rain. 

No comments :

Post a Comment